A review by the National Audit Office has found that the Ministry of Defense and the Defense Forces need to coordinate better in forming their emergency stockpiles if the desired level defense capability is to be reached.
The National Defense Development Plan of 2009 to 2018 lacked a general conceptual basis and had no specific action plans, budgets or procurement plans for replenishing wartime equipment stockpiles, the audit office said in a press release on Wednesday.
The audit also found that no target levels or deadlines had been set for these activities.
The heads of the military and the ministry would also have no up-to-date overview of the equipment of wartime units, as a national central mobilization register has not been completed, the audit found. The register was conceived in 2004, but development has since been suspended.
The audit highlighted a lack of an overview of civil sector resources that could be used at a time of war.
Minister of Defense Urmas Reinsalu agreed with the results of the audit, saying that most of the problems will be addressed in the new military development plan for the 2013 to 2022 period.
Stockpile procurement not up to scratch
The Ministry of Defense discovered in May 2012 that 90 percent of procurements for updating the state's equipment stocks used in emergency situations had not been conducted.
At the time, Peeter Kuimet, spokesperson for the Ministry, said the understocking itself was not a threat to national security. He said the reserves come in two types - short and long term - and the equipment yet to be procured represented only a small part of the whole.