In a speedy plea bargain, a 30-year-old man who made a prank call to emergency services on Sunday, saying that there was a bomb at the Solaris shopping center in Tallinn, was handed a two-month sentence by Harju County Court today.
The remainder of the defendant's 1.5-year sentence was suspended, reported uudised.err.ee.
The man had made the call at 11:15 on Sunday. Authorities evacuated Solaris and checked the building, but found nothing and the mall was reopened at 15:00.
Police tracked down the caller and detained him on the following day.
"This bomb threat was not a drunken person's foolishness. The crime was premeditated. The accused did everything in his power to remain unidentified, but the police was, nevertheless, able to swiftly capture him," said prosecutor Natalia Miilvee.
At the end of August, customs workers at Tallinn Airport detained a Portuguese citizen whose baggage contained nearly seven kilograms of marijuana, it was revealed on Wednesday.
A few days after that incident, a Gambian citizen was detained in Tallinn, suspected of being connected to the matter, reported uudised.err.ee.
The Portuguese national had arrived from Spain via Riga. Part of the drugs were packed in Christmas gift wrapping and part of it was disguised as clothing.
"Previously all kinds of methods of concealment have been attempted, and shipments were discovered nevertheless. But now there are attempts to ship really large quantities at once, whereas they hardly bother to hide the packages, instead hoping that some will still reach their destination," said the Tax and Customs Board's narcotics investigation director, Urmet Tambre.