The Delfi news site reported that three insurance companies have denied payouts to the 14 Estonian anti-piracy personnel released after spending a half-year in remand in India. The Estonian media speculated that it could violate the terms of their bail.
The men's employer Advanfort communicated the news on its website this week, saying that three separate companies said the extensive coverage - including travel, medical and marine accident-related indemnities - was voided.
All 35 of the detainees had the two-year policy through Aon, Lodestar and Travelers. Talks are in progress for a review of the denial so that the men would have money for food, shelter and medical aid.
The men, who say in social media posts and letters home that they are running out of money, were due to have a hearing on Tuesday, but the prosecutor reportedly did not show up.
The Foreign Ministry said the hearing had been postponed to next week.
Indian police in Tamil Nadu state arrested the men on October 18, accusing them of arms violations in national waters. The charges were formally read only on December 30. On March 28, after many false starts, and the men's health declining in conditions one of the pirate hunters described in an ERR exclusive, a court granted bail, and the men were released on April 5. They are living in Chennai, where Advanfort is responsible for their housing and they have to report twice a day to a police precinct.