ERR's Radio 2 has named a song by Curly Strings as the “Hit of the Year” in an annual award handed out since 1994.
The song beat off Traffic's Eesti Laul entry “Für Elise” by 19 votes in the poll, collecting 702 votes.
The top five Estonian hits were
1. Curly Strings – Kaugel külas (In a faraway village) – 702 votes. Listen here
2. Traffic – Für Elise (For Elise) – 683. Listen here
3. Karl-Erik Taukar – Vastupandamatu (Irresistible) – 490. Listen here
4. Epp Kõiv – Linn on minu (The city is mine) – 448. Listen here
5. Getter Jaani and Koit Toome – Rannamaja (Beach house) – 378. Listen here
Enrique Iglesias and Sean Paul with “Bailando” won the “Foreign hit” award with 329 votes, beating Sia's Chandelier (269) votes, to second.
However, the "Foreign hit" category has not always been won with such a low score. In 2005 James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" caught a record 4058 votes.
The first ever "R2 Hit of the Year" competition was won by Bon Jovi with "Always", but the information about the exact number of votes cast 20 years ago has been lost.
The awards will be handed out in a televised gala on January 8.
Editor: J.M. Laats, M. Oll