Minister of the Interior Hanno Pevkur (Reform) said on Thursday that the refugees arriving in Estonia next week were actual refugees, that nobody needed to be afraid of them, and that their backgrounds had been checked very thoroughly.
Pevkur said to ETV’s “Aktuaalne Kaamera” that the people had been through a lot, and that they really were refugees that needed protection.
Asked about how many refugees more he expected to make it to Estonia, the minister said that everything depended on the people they were offered.
“That not a single refugee arrived in Greece over the last 24 hours is also positive news,” Pevkur said. “There’s light at the end of the tunnel, but there are still tens of thousands of people on Greek territory who need help,” he added.
Currently Estonia was looking into the dossiers of 12 more refugees, mostly families, that Greece had submitted, Pevkur said. “The translation of their documents is in the final phase. When the translations are ready, we can go and interview them and hear whether or not they’re ready to move to Estonia,” he added.
Editor: Editor: Dario Cavegn