The Estonian Conservative People's Party (EKRE) accused the government on Thursday of having lied to the public about its intentions concerning refugees. Most of the first group of seven refugees about to arrive didn’t meet the criteria, EKRE’s Martin Helme said.
“It was promised that we would help only war refugees from Syria. We were supposed to help women and children. Now it turns out that a big family will be brought here from Iraq, which most countries in Europe don't consider a country that justifies refugee status. The rest are single men, one of whom is from Yemen. Among the first seven people to come here, we have exactly one refugee from Syria, and that is a single young man," EKRE deputy chairman Martin Helme told the Baltic News Service.
Helme said the first immigrants about to be brought to Estonia didn't meet the criteria as set out by the government. The government had been lying to the public when it introduced the conditions the refugees needed to meet to be accepted, Helme said.
“After today's news, the government's credibility in matters of immigration is non-existent. The credibility of the whole government, first of all Prime Minister Rõivas, Interior Minister Pevkur, and Minister of Social Protection Tsahkna, has dropped to zero, and any information from them has to be treated as disinformation," Helme said.
He added that after the terrorist attacks in Brussels, Estonia should follow the example of Poland and stop accepting immigrants altogether.
The Estonian government announced on Thursday that it was ready to accept the first refugees from Greece. Of the first seven to arrive, five are a family from Iraq, one is from Syria, and one from Yemen.
Editor: Editor: Dario Cavegn