Despite the major disinfection effort carried out on board the "Silja Symphony" of Estonian shipper Tallink on Sunday, eight new suspected cases of a norovirus infection were detected on Tuesday morning.
“Since this information is very new, we have to analyze what to do next and what steps we will take,” Tallink spokesperson Luulea Lääne told the Baltic News Service. She added that while pulling the ship from the Tallinn-Helsinki route could not be ruled out, it was not an option being seriously considered at this point.
“The prevention and infection combating measures continued to be applied after Sunday and they will continue to be applied also when there are no longer any infection cases. We are looking at different options now how to put an end to the spread of the disease,” Laane said.
Last week some 200 people who had spent time on board the "Silja Symphony", including crew members as well as passengers, suffered from symptoms indicative of the norovirus.
Since the first symptoms were detected during the cruise that departed on May 28, both the crew and passenger areas on board the ship as well as port terminals have been disinfected on a regular basis.
Editor: Editor: Dario Cavegn