Tallinn port's D-terminal evacuated due to suspected chemical pollution ({{commentsTotal}})

The Port of Tallinn's D passenger terminal was evacuated Thursday night due to potential chemical pollution. Nov. 3, 2016.
The Port of Tallinn's D passenger terminal was evacuated Thursday night due to potential chemical pollution. Nov. 3, 2016. Source: (ERR)
{{1478203540000 | amCalendar}}

The Estonian Rescue Board evacuated the Port of Tallinn's D.terminal on Thursday night following the detection of potential chemical pollution in the terminal. Specialist analyses failed to identify any dangerous substances, howver.

At 9:16 p.m. on Thursday night, the emergency call center was notified of an unusual smell present in the Port of Tallinn's D-terminal, the Rescue Board wrote on Twitter.

"There is some kind of chemical contamination there," a rescue board spokesperson told ERR after being notified of the issue. "We are unable to say exactly what substance and in what quantities [is present]."

According to the spokesperson, people present in the terminal began complaining of various symptoms, including a stinging in the eyes and throat.

"Our chemical department and brigade were unable to determine on location what the substance was and now the special chemical department is heading there to clarify," added the spokesperson.

At approximately 11 p.m., the Rescue Board reported on Twitter that chemical and radiation hazard specialists' first measurements did not yield any results and that other measuring equipment would be used to test again for the presence of any harmful substances.

After midnight, the rescue board confirmed that the results of chemical and radiation hazard specialists' test results did not determine the presence of anything dangerous.

The building will be checked over one more time before being opened to passengers in the morning.

Everyone evacuated from the terminal was allowed to either go home or board the bus.

One person taken to hospital for monitoring

The Rescue Board reported that ships arriving at the Tallinn port were given permission to dock and that passengers were served via the terminal's car deck until the potential contamination was addressed.

Paramedics looked over five evacuees complaining of stinging in their eyes and throats; one person was taken to the hospital for further monitoring.

Passengers evacuated from the terminal were directed onto buses waiting outside for warmth before eventually being allowed to board the ferry and depart from Tallinn.

Editor: Editor: Aili Vahtla