Tallinn TV Says No to Covering World Cup
Tallinn City Government's draft budget, submitted to City Council on Wednesday, does not include money for picking up broadcast rights to the World Cup next year.
ERR announced this month that it would forgo coverage, citing limited funds. Tallinn TV had been named as a possible suitor. But Mayor Edgar Savisaar said in response to a reporter's question that it had never been a serious idea to take over a "responsibility of the Cabinet," reported uudised.err.ee via ETV.
The city's budget is 501 million euros, and includes funds for renovation of schools, the first "municipal food store," and a "doctors' and nurses' house."
Meanwhile, details were revealed about a city-subsidized food store, which is to open next spring. Markup would be 5-7 percent, just enough to cover costs, said Raepress, the city's PR department. Prices would be kept below the average shopping basket cost. It would be located in the front two pavilions in Lasnamäe market. Food nearing the end of its shelf life would be distributed to the Food Bank. There is no word yet on how the store plans to limit sales to possible profiteers.