IRL selects five new committee chairmen
The Pro Patria and Res Publica Union (IRL) announced its choice for the new chairs of the Riigikogu’s committees on Tuesday. With the change of the government, the chairmanships of the different committees typically change as well.
IRL’s parliamentary group decided on Tuesday morning that they would choose new chairmen for five parliamentary committees. According to Priit Sibul, who leads the parliamentary group, these will be as follows:
- Marko Mihkelson (IRL) will be chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee
- Aivar Kokk (IRL) will be chairman of the Economic Affairs Committee
- Ken-Marti Vaher (IRL) will be chairman of the Constitutional Committee
- Raivo Aeg (IRL) will lead the Security Authorities Surveillance Select Committee
- Helir-Valdor Seeder (IRL) will lead the Rural Affairs Committee
Seeder is currently Deputy President of the Riigikogu, but will step down from this position once the changes enter into effect.
According to Sibul, the new coalition will concentrate on getting Estonia’s economy out of the current period of stagnation, which was why the Ministry of Finance under Sven Sester (IRL) and the Economic Affairs Committee led by Aivar Kokk would be very important.