Mihkelson: Europe can’t just wait for new terror attacks
Europe couldn’t just wait for possible new terror attacks, additional measures needed to be introduced and international exchange of information intensified, chairman of the Riigikogu’s National Defence Committee Marko Mihkelson (IRL) said.
Mihkelson said in ETV’s “Aktuaalne Kaamera” about the terror attacks in Brussels on Tuesday that the reactions after the Paris attacks in November last year had been the same, that people had felt it had been an attack on them, on Europe and its values, and that it was necessary to react.
Mihkelson said that after Paris, France reacted and concentrated air force as well as special services operations on Syria. “But we need to keep in mind that this is not only a danger coming from Syria,” he warned.
“In reality this ideology based on extreme Islamic fundamentalism has festered for decades, and unfortunately it’s spreading quickly and bringing with it attacks like we’ve seen them today,” Mihkelson said.
According to Mihkelson, the exchange of data needs to be intensified. In his assessment, information doesn’t move effectively enough between the different European security services.