Strong winds leave thousands of South Estonian households without power
More than 25,000 households suffered power cuts because of strong winds and stormy weather on Saturday, most of them in the southern counties of Võru, Põlva, Valga, Tartu, and Pärnu.
"The strong winds did not calm down in the early hours of the morning, and according to the national weather service they are to be expected the whole day," a spokesman for the electricity distribution system operator Elektrilevi said.
All in all there were more than 25,000 interruptions. Elektrilevi's Aivar Sõõru said to ERR on Saturday that at 6 o'clock on Saturday evening, some 15,000 households were still cut off, while more than 10,000 had already been reconnected to the network.
The whole city of Põlva and the surrounding area were without electricity on Saturday morning. Of the two high-voltage lines that supply two substations in the area, one was offline for maintenance works, and the other one damaged in the storm. The interruption lasted only eleven minutes, as the deactivated line could be put back in use.
Late on Saturday evening, some 9,000 households were still waiting to be reconnected.
For those interested, Elektrilevi has a real-time online map where the number and location of interruptions can be tracked.