An elderly man died in a fire that broke out in a house in the small town of Aravete in Järva County at noon on Saturday, the rescue center for Western Estonia said.
The rescue service was alerted to the fire at 11:47 a.m. by a neighbor, who saw thick smoke billow from a window of the two-story private house. The neighbor also informed that there could be a person inside the building.
Aravete rescuers who arrived at the scene at 11:51 immediately started a search for the person potentially inside the building and putting out the fire. The victim was found at 12:09 and handed over to medics.
The life of the elderly man could not be saved despite medics' efforts.
The fire was put out by 1:43 p.m. The blaze destroyed one room on the ground floor of the building, while other rooms sustained scoot and water damage. Rescuers succeeded in preventing the spread of the fire to the upper floor of the building.
A smoke alarm had activated when rescuers arrived at the scene. Why this didn't help to save the victim's life will be established by an investigation.
Editor: Kristjan Kallaste