Industrial fire in Ülemiste produces poisonous smoke ({{commentsTotal}})

The Rescue Board closed streets in Tallinn's Ülemiste area on Thursday morning and issued a warning to residents and companies in the area to keep windows shut. Smoke of a fire that broke out in an industrial building in the area was poisonous, the Rescue Board reported.

The emergency center received a call at 9 o'clock this morning informing them of a fire in an industrial building on Valukoja Street. Fire brigades managed to get it under control by shortly after 11:30 a.m.

14 people were treated by an ambulance that arrived on the scene, nobody needed to be hospitalized. Nobody was in the building at the time the fire broke out.

About 100 square meters of the building were damaged. The fire produced poisonous smoke, as the room that burned contained titanium and zirconium chippings, the Rescue Board said.

Residents and companies in the area were warned to keep windows and doors closed to avoid the smoke of the fire. Anyone in the area at the time suddenly suffering from whatever sort of health problem should turn to a doctor or call an ambulance, the Rescue Board said.

At 1:00 p.m. the authorities gave the area their all clear, saying that levels of poisonous substances in the air were no longer dangerous.

The Rescue Board's response included personnel from its Lasnamäe, Lilleküla, city center, Nõmme, Assaku, Pirita, and Keila units. The police and ambulance services were present as well.

Editor: Dario Cavegn

Hea lugeja, näeme et kasutate vanemat brauseri versiooni või vähelevinud brauserit.

Parema ja terviklikuma kasutajakogemuse tagamiseks soovitame alla laadida uusim versioon mõnest meie toetatud brauserist: