Five new cases of coronavirus were diagnosed in the last day, the Health Board (Terviseamet) said on Wednesday. One person visited Narva while displaying symptoms of the virus.
Three of the cases were diagnosed in Tartu and were related to a case reported on July 24. This has now increased to a five-person outbreak.
One of the infected people stayed in Narva on Monday, July 27 despite an isolation order, and visited various places there. These included Inger Hotel, Fama Center (including KFC, Free Stage). The person had symptoms throughout their visit to Narva.
Eike Kingsepp, spokesperson for the Health Board, told ERR that there is no information on where the person in Tartu was infected with COVID-19. There were suspicions regarding the person in Narva however but no test had been taken yet.
She said: "He had been given a directive to stay in self-isolation because he was a close contact of someone infected."
Kingsepp noted that the Health Board is considering assigining a fine for the person in Narva but will not do so for the person in Tartu, as they were actually diagnosed with tonsillitis.
The spokesperson added that tonsillitis is also a diagnosis which should keep a person home but the issue of going to work or other public spaces while sick is not just a coronavirus problem. "We've had this problem for years where people still go to work while sick to play the hero."
Two new cases were also added in Ida-Viru County. One of them was a close contact with an affected family, The other case was a positive test result moved from July 27's statistics to July 28.
As of the morning of July 29, three people are being treated in hospital and no patients are using ventilators. The total number of deaths due to coronavirus is 69 and has not increased since the start of June.
To date, 393 people have been discharged from hospitals and 1,926 have recovered.
For more information and statistics in English, Russian and Estonian visit koroonakaart.
COVID-19 weekly blog: Majority of new cases caught abroad
During the last 14 days (July 13 - July 27), 16 new infections have been detected in Estonia and the infection rate is 1.2 per 100,000 inhabitants, the Health Board wrote in its weekly blog. This is a decrease from 1.9 last week.
Of these, one person (6.2 percent) was infected among friends, one at work (6.2 percent), and 12 (75 percent) abroad. The source of the infection was unknown in two cases (12.5 percent).
Cases were registered in six counties: Harju, Ida-Viru, Jõgeva, Pärnu, Tartu and Viljandi.
The Health Board would like to remind people that they should continue to wash their hands carefully, staying at home when they feel unwell, and leaving enough space for their fellow citizens in order to prevent the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus which causes COVID-19.
Coronavirus primarily spreads from an infected person to healthy people via close contact. Close contact is classed as a situation in which two people are within two metres of each other for at least fifteen minutes.
COVID-19 is a droplet infection which is caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus spreading from one person to another as a result of sneezing and coughing or via contaminated surfaces and unwashed hands.
Editor: Helen Wright, Kristjan Kallaste