A meeting between the Estonian men's national football team and four-time world champion Italy has been added to the team's preliminary schedule, with the Estonian NT traveling for an away match on November 11.
The starting time and stadium of the test match is still to be announced.
The match will be played under UEFA auspices, which leaves the world's governing body of European football in charge of restrictions on spectator capacity.
Italy is a four-time world champion (1934, 1938, 1982, 2006) and on 1968, the team was crowned champions of Europe. The team is currently ranked 13th on FIFA's world rankings.
Italy has won their last 11 matches, winning all 10 matches in their group in 2019 when playing for the European championship qualifiers. The Nations League, starting in autumn will see Italy in one group with the Netherlands, Poland and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Estonia and Italy have met on a pitch six times, with the Italian side being victorious on all six occasions. The last time the two teams met was in 2012, when Estonia was in the same qualifying group as Italy. Estonia achieved second place behind the four-time world champion and even took the lead against them in their head-to-head matchup. The Italians rallied though and won the match 2:1.
The schedule for Estonian men's national football team:
- September 5, 7 p.m. local time: Estonia - Georgia
- September 8, 7 p.m. local time: Armenia - Estonia
- October 7, TBA: Estonia - Lithuania
- October 11, 7 p.m. local time: Estonia - North Macedonia
- October 14, 9.45 p.m. local time: Estonia - Armenia
- October 15, 4 p.m. local time: North Macedonia - Estonia
- October 18, 7 p.m. local time: Georgia - Estonia
- November 11, TBA: Italy - Estonia
Editor: Kristjan Kallaste