The FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) has already canceled five and postponed two of it's rounds in the 2020 season due to the coronavirus pandemic. Head of WRC promoter GmbH, Oliver Ciesla said there are alternative options being considered, one of which is Rally DirtFish, set to take place in August in South Estonia.
"We are weighing all possible options," Ciesla told Swedish public television broadcaster SVT. "We'll look at which weekends are suitable and how much time it would take to move a round from one place to another. In our competition, logistics is a great challenge. We're searching for all alternatives in Europe."
The promoter said the priority when looking for alternative possibilities is the safety of participants and fans. "Safety is key and it will lessen our options to an extent. Excluding logistics challenges, there are about four or five alternates on the table," he said.
"Estonia [Rally DirtFish] is in that list. They did a fine job (hosting Rally Estonia) last year. Teams were satisfied. They have years of experience in hosting events and it is one of the best experiences for rally fans in Europe. Many requirements have already been met and we'll look into if we can add it to our 2020 schedule."
WRC has already canceled Rally de Portugal, Rally Kenya, Rally Finland, Rally New Zealand. Additionally, Rally of Argentina and Rally d'Italia have been postponed, leaving only the Turkish, German, Welsh, and Japanese rounds remaining on the schedule.
Rally DirtFish, set to take place on August 7-8 in Otepää, will technically replace the popular Rally Estonia which was suspended this year due to disagreements between organizers and the Estonian Autosport Union. Hyundai drivers Ott Tänak and Thierry Neuville have announced their participation in the South Estonian Rally.
Editor: Kristjan Kallaste