Eight bars in Tartu are to close their doors for a week as a measure towards containing the coronavirus outbreak in Estonia's city which has seen dozens of new cases in recent days, most of them linked to nightspots in the towns.
On a social media post, in English, the Barlova, Genialistide Klubi, Kivi, Möku, Naiiv, Trepp, Ula and Zavood bars said that while they had tried other measures to combat the viral spread in recent days, closure was the most effective means.
"We've done most in our power to limit the spread of the virus while simultaneously sustaining as much normality in our everyday lives as possible – now there is one thing left to do which is arguably the most efficient: we collectively decided to close down for one week," the joint statement read.
The statement went on to say that the measure was only temporary, with the plan being to reopen next week.
Individuals had last week tested positive for coronavirus after visiting Möku, Shooters, Genialistide Klubi bars and a member of staff at La Dolce Vita restaurant, all in Tartu, following a spate of cases centered on another Tartu nightspot, the Vabank nightclub, after a carrier visited the club on July 18, while awaiting COVID-19 test results.
Paul Lepasson, spokesperson for one of the eight, the Kivi bar, told ETV current affairs show "Aktuaalne kaamera" Monday evening that he hoped other bars would come on board with the decision, adding that while the plan was to reopen next week, this was by no means certain and could change.
"Right now we've agreed on a week. From now on, we'll either see if everyone is following this for themselves, or we'll think of something," he said.
Editor: Andrew Whyte