Prosecutor's office rejects minister call to publish Lihula shooting video ({{contentCtrl.commentsTotal}})

Interior minister Mart Helme (EKRE).
Interior minister Mart Helme (EKRE). Source: Siim Lõvi /ERR

The prosecutor's office has rejected calls by interior minister Mart Helme (EKRE) last week to make public excerpts of a video showing a fatal shooting attack in the western Estonian town of Lihula on Sunday, June 7, daily Postimees reports.

The Western District of the prosecutor's office does not consider the move – which Helme said would bring home to the public the severity of the attack – viable, Postimees writes (link in Estonian), not least because it concerns an ongoing investigation.

"The prosecutor's office issues evidence of a criminal case, including video footage, at court hearings. During the ongoing investigation, we do not consider it possible to publish such materials via the media," Liivi Reinhold of the prosecutor's office Western District said.

Mart Helme he has seen video footage of the incident, which he described as particularly harrowing, adding that after seeing the images, any condolences or words would be inadequate.

"I have suggested showing some excerpts to the public so that people would realize how severe things can happen in society if we do plug fill any gaps in applying for a weapon," Helme said, highlighting the need for psychiatric assessments in particular.

Late on the night of Saturday, June 6, a 32-year-old male shot and killed a 40-year-old man and a 61-year-old woman, injuring another thre people, two of whom were small children, near the town of Lihula in Pärnu County.

The prosecutor's office placed the assailant in custody last Monday.

Download the ERR News app for Android and iOS now and never miss an update!

Editor: Andrew Whyte

Hea lugeja, näeme et kasutate vanemat brauseri versiooni või vähelevinud brauserit.

Parema ja terviklikuma kasutajakogemuse tagamiseks soovitame alla laadida uusim versioon mõnest meie toetatud brauserist: