Theaters, cinemas and concert halls will be permitted to operate at full audience capacity from September, culture minister Tõnis Lukas (Isamaa) says.
The development means restrictions on indoor public gatherings, confining them to 1,500 spectators or 50 percent capacity, whichever was lower, will be lifted.
Lukas made the announcement via his social media page Tuesday morning, soon moving to scotch reports of a rift between the cabinet and the government's own coronavirus scientific council (Valitsuse teadusnõukoda), Lukas clarified on his social media page that the restriciton lifting refers to seated concert halls, cinemas etc. and not in venues where people could "shout and jump" in halls full of people, as Lukas said the scientific council had previously thought.
"So, to the chagrin of those seeking conflict, this is not the case," the culture minister added.
The government almost simultaneously made COVID-19 testing upon arrival in Estonia a requirement, replacing the 14-day self-quarantine restriction, Tuesday morning, something which the scientific council had argued for.
The precise date of the restriction lifting and whether it is September 1 has not been reported yet.
Editor: Andrew Whyte