Statistics: Unemployment rate 7.1 percent in Q2 2020
Unemployment in in Estonia in the second quarter of 2020 (Q2 2020) stood at 7.1 percent, state agency Statistics Estonia reports. The number of unemployed rose by 14,400 to 49,400 between Q1 and Q2, the agency says.
Eveli Voolens, leading analyst at Statistics Estonia, the Q2 2020 labour force indicators reflect the impact of the crisis in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
"Compared with the second quarter of last year, both the employment and labour force participation rates fell. At the same time, the unemployment rate is two percentage points higher," said Voolens.
The labour force participation rate stood at 70.4 percent and the employment rate was 65.4 percent.
In Q2 2020 the number of employed persons fell by 23,800 to 643,900 on the year since Q2 2019.
Full time employees fell by 24,100 to 560,400 over the same period, though the rate of part-time employees remained relatively static at 83,500 the agency says.
Labor market breakdown to Q2 2020
- Employment fell 2.7 percent on the year to Q2 2020.
- Unemployment rate: 7.1 percent.
- 49,400 unemployed, a rise of 13,700 on year.
- 34,100 had been unemployed for less than six months.
- 9,100 people had been unemployed for six to 11 months.
- Long-term unemployed persons stood at 6,100.
- Female employment stood at 61.2 percent, a fall of 14,200 on year, and male employment at 69.8 percent, 9,600 fewer than in Q1 2019.
- Unemployment rate among Estonians was 6.3 percent; among non-Estonians it was 8.8 percent.
Download the ERR News app for Android and iOS now and never miss an update!
Editor: Andrew Whyte