Health Board: 14 new coronavirus cases, over half in Tartu County ({{contentCtrl.commentsTotal}})

A map showing coronavirus case rates in Estonia's counties, the darker the blue, the higher the rate.
A map showing coronavirus case rates in Estonia's counties, the darker the blue, the higher the rate. Source: Koroonakaart

14 new coronavirus cases have been found in Estonia in the past 24 hours, the Health Board (Terviseamet) says, out of a total of 1,405 primary tests rendered. Eight of these came in Tartu County, and several cases relate directly to nightclubs in the city of Tartu. One case was found on Saaremaa, the first in over two months.

Eight of the new cases were from Tartu County, two of which were from Tartu city itself, scene of a recent coronavirus outbreak which dates back to a carrier visiting a nightclub and several other public places in mid-July.

Additionally, three of the new Tartu County cases are related to the Shooters nightclub, another entertainment outlet linked with the outbreak.

Another case in Lääne-Viru county was traced back to the Vabank nightclub outbreak in Tartu, bringing the total number of infections related directly to the club to 35.

Sixteen cases relate to another Tartu nightspot, Naiiv, and 11 to Shooters, the Health Board says.

Of the remaining five cases, one apiece was detected in Harju, Jõgeva and Põlva counties, one on Saaremaa, the first case there since late May. Saaremaa was by far the worst hit region of Estonia during the peak of the pandemic.

The location of one case was indeterminate (population registry data is used in compiling coronavirus cases locations).

In the course of its epidemiological investigations, the Health Board has established that there are currently 35 cases of infection with the hearth of the Vabank nightclub, 16 cases with the Naive nightclub and 11 cases with the Shooters nightclub

As of the morning of August 8, eight people are hospitalized – one fewer than on Friday – with one of these on assisted breathing.

No deaths relating to COVID-19 were reported; the last of these came in early June, and the total of coronavirus-related deaths in Estonia remains at 63.

There are an estimated 114 active coronavirus cases in Estonia at present.

383 formerly hospitalized people have been declared recovered to date, across 396 hospital cases (some individuals have more than one hospital case associated with them).

A total of 1 961 pepole have been declared recovered from coronavirus all told, which incorporates both family doctor and hospital cases.

1,485 (close to 76 percent) of these have had their cases concluded, with the remaining 24 percent (476 people) meeting the criteria of not testing positive within the past 28 days and not being hospitalized due to the virus, or awaiting their hospital case to be terminated.

A total of 125,240 primary coronavirus tests have been conducted in Estonia, with 2,147, or 1.7 percent, testing positive during that time.

Download the ERR News app for Android and iOS now and never miss an update!

Editor: Andrew Whyte

Hea lugeja, näeme et kasutate vanemat brauseri versiooni või vähelevinud brauserit.

Parema ja terviklikuma kasutajakogemuse tagamiseks soovitame alla laadida uusim versioon mõnest meie toetatud brauserist: