Opinion polls bang on money in European Parliament election results
The European parliamentary election results for Estonia are in, and have proved almost exactly what the polls predicted, with the Reform Party getting two seats as projected, the Social Democratic Party (SDE) getting two, with the most popular candidate, Marina Kaljurand, and the Centre Party, the Conservative People's Party of Estonia (EKRE) getting one each.
After some initial confusion over whether Riho Terras (Isamaa) got a seat, ERR's online Estonian news reports that he gets the "seventh" seat, which is pending the U.K.'s withdrawal from the E.U. Marina Kaljurand got a sufficient number of votes to pass her excess down to Sven Mikser, who got 2,886 votes in his own right.
The results, with candidates are:
- Marina Kaljurand (SDE) - 65,559 votes (19.7 percent).
- Andrus Ansip (Reform) - 41,006 votes (12.3 percent).
- Urmas Paet (Reform) - 30,010 votes (9.0 percent).
- Yana Toom (Centre) - 27,003 votes (8.1 percent).
- Jaak Madison (EKRE) - 22,823 votes (6.9 percent).
- Sven Mikser (SDE) - 2,886 votes.*
- Riho Terras (Isamaa) - 21,474 votes (6.4 percent).**
* Sven Mikser gets a seat since he was running in second place on the SDE list and received the excess votes from Marina Kaljurand, under the principles of the d'Hondt system of proportional representation.
** Riho Terras would take up the seventh seat should Estonia get one more MEP place following a U.K. withdrawal from the E.U..
The newly-founded Brexit Party in the U.K. is projected to take around a third of the seats at that country's European elections.
Indrek Tarand (SDE) finished just 30 votes behind Sven Mikser.
The provisional European Parliament elections results for the whole of the E.U. member states are at present:
- European People's Party (EPP) - 179 seats (23.83 percent).
- Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats (S&D) - 150 seats (19.97 percent).
- Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe (ALDE) + Renaissance + USR PLUS - 107 seats (14.24 percent).
- European Greens/European Free Alliance (EFA) - 70 seats (9.32 percent).
- European Conservatives and Reformists (ECR) - 58 seats (772 percent).
- Europe of Nations and Freedom Group (ENF) - 58 seats (7.72 percent).
- Europe of Freedom and Direct Democracy Group (EFDD) - 56 seats (7.46) percent.
- Confederal Group of the European United Left - Nordic Green Left (GUE/NGL) - 38 seats (5.06 percent).
- Non-attached Members - 7 seats (0.93 percent).
- Others - 28 seats (3.73 percent).
Download the ERR News app for Android and iOS now and never miss an update!
Editor: Andrew Whyte