The Health Board (Terviseamet) has received 12 applications for the post of director-general, with the succcessful candidate to be announced at the end of the month. The board, which has been the focus of a high degree of media, political and public scrutiny since the coronavirus pandemic began in March, has been without a permanent director since Merike Jürlio stepped down earlier in summer.
The application deadline for the position came and went on Monday, August 17. Kristiina Tiimus, Head of Communications at the Government Office, told ERR that 12 applications had been received.
Tiimus said that the government's public service executive committee will review the applications, and the result will be clear by August 26. The Secretary of State announced a public competition for the position on July2 . The appointment was originally scheduled for August 2, but the applications period was extended.
The previous head of the Health Board was Merike Jürilo, who resigned at her own request in June following the withdrawal of government confidence, largely over the authority's handling of the pandemic.
Editor: Roberta Vaino